Friday, July 06, 2012, 09:38
How do I set up SMTP Recipient Filtering with Microsoft Exchange 2003?
Solution ID: 00000151
How do I enable SMTP Recipient Filtering with my Microsoft Exchange 2003 server to perform recipient verification/validation?
Following are the steps to enable recipient filtering to allow PerfectMail to validate e-mail users for Microsoft Exchange.
When recipient filtering functionality is enabled, it filters all messages that come through all Receive connectors on that computer. By default, recipient filtering is enabled on the computer that has the Edge Transport server role installed for inbound messages that come from the Internet but aren't authenticated. These messages are handled as external messages. If this feature is turned off all e-mail addresses will be accepted by both Exchange and PerfectMail.
Please ensure you have the appropriate permissions to perform this task.
Microsoft Exchange 2003
Please enable recipient filtering by doing the following:
- Open Up Exchange System Manager.
- Expand "Global Settings".
- Right-click on "Message Delivery" and select "Properties".
- Select the "Recipient Filtering" tab.
- Check "Filter recipients who are not in the Directory" and click on "Apply".
- A big warning message will come up regarding manually enabling filtering on specific SMTP virtual server. Click "OK".
- Click "OK" to close "Message Delivery Properties".
- You should now be back at the Exchange System Manager screen at this point. Expand "Administrative Group".
- Expand the Information Store group. (There may be more than one within your organization.)
- Expand "Servers", then <your server name>, then "Protocols".
- Highlight "SMTP" and you should see the SMTP server configuration. (Default name is "Default SMTP Virtual Server".)
- Right click "Default SMTP Virtual Server" and select "Properties".
- The "General" tab will be open. Click on "Advanced" beside the "IP Address field".
- An advanced window will pop up. Leave the default selection as is.
- Click "Edit" and that will bring up the Identification window.
- Check to enable "Apply Recipient Filter" and click "OK" and then "OK" again.
- Click on "Apply", then "OK".
- Repeat steps 12-17 for each SMTP protocol.
- Repeat steps 9-17 for multiple store groups (if applicable).
- There is no need to restart any Exchange services. Changes may take a few minutes to take effect as it may be replicated.
Tags: microsoft, exchange, 2003, smtp recipient, filtering, verification, validation, smtp
Link to this article: kb/exchange_2003_recipient_filtering
Updated: Friday, July 06, 2012, 09:38
-- Andrew Weisz